9/6/11: Red Sox 14, Blue Jays 0
After losing four out of their last five games and watching the divisional lead begin to slip away, the Red Sox took out their angst and frustration on a hapless Canadian baseball club, mashing the Toronto Blue Jays into paste in front of a horrified Rogers Centre crowd.
I think we’ve been waiting for a game like this for quite some time. The Sox had just about everything working right last night.
- Hero of the Game: Adrian Gonzalez (3 for 5 with a double, 3 runs, 3 RBI, 15.8% WPA)
- Goat of the Game: Luis Perez (8 runs allowed before getting yanked, -41.0% WPA)
Top 3 Plays:
- Adrian Gonzales gets the party started with an RBI double in the 1st (9.3% WPA)
- Carl Crawford hits another RBI double in the 1st (8.2% WPA).
- David Ortiz singles in the first to score Gonzalez (6.2% WPA).
Quote of the Day:
“I think we’ve found a new six-hole hitter on the team”
- Marco Scutaro, having a little fun after going 4 for 5
- According to Pete Abraham, Jon Lester is 4-0 with a 1.16 ERA in his last 5 starts.
- The diagnosis on Josh Beckett is a bad ankle sprain, no surgery required. He’ll miss 1 start at least. Obligatory worthless non-athlete anecdotal tidbit: a bad ankle sprain had me useless for a month back in my “prime” basketball days (by “prime”, I mean playing in a co-ed league with a bunch of hipsters).
- The AAA Pawtucket Red Sox begin their playoff series against the Iron Pigs of Lehigh Valley tonight.