9/7/11: Blue Jays 11, Red Sox 10
I’ve quickly gone through Tim Wakefield‘s game logs (no easy task for a guy who’s been in the Majors since the H.W. Bush administration), and from what I can tell, this is his longest streak of “winless” starts (7) since back in 2000. Eleven years ago, when his teammates included the likes of Dante Bichette and Jose Offerman, Wakefield started 9 straight games without being credited with the victory.
I don’t think I need to explain the flaws of the Win statistic at this point, but Wakefield’s quest for win #200 is big deal simply because…it’s a big deal. Or, as Bill Belichick might say: it is what it is.
- Hero of the Game: Jose Bautista (1 for 2 with a double, 2 walks, 2 runs, 2 RBI, 43.1% WPA)
- Goat of the Game: Dan Bard (5 runs allowed in the 8th inning, -42.3% WPA)
- Edwin Encarnacion hits a bases-loaded double in the 8th, scoring all three runners (33.4% WPA)
- Jacoby Ellsbury hits a 3-run HR in the 4th to give the Sox a 2-run lead (30.2% WPA).
- Jose Bautista walks with the bases loaded and two outs in the 8th, tying the game and setting up the Encarnacion double (26.7% WPA).
Quote of the Day:
“We’re trying for him. He did his job today and I didn’t do mine.’’
- Dan Bard