9/11/11: Rays 9, Red Sox 1
Hey, look, it’s our old friend: Humiliating Failure! It’s been years! SO NICE TO SEE YOU.
That’s right folks, you can hold off a moment before planning that October trip into Boston, or maybe plan on going to the Aquarium or the MFA instead. After losing 5 in a row, the Red Sox are now just 3.5 games ahead of total disaster.
- Hero of the Game: B.J. Upton (4 for 4 with a grand slam, BB, 2B, 4 RBI, 2 runs, 16.6% WPA)
- Goat of the Game: Jon Lester (4 innings, 8 hits, 3 walks, 4 runs, -26.4% WPA)
- Ben Zobrist hits a bases-loaded single in the 1st (9.4% WPA)
- David Ortiz lines out to shallow left field with the bases loaded and 1 out in the 3rd (8.6% WPA).
- B.J. Upton hits a grand slam in the 5th, sealing the deal (8.5% WPA).
Quote of the Day:
“If we keep on playing like that, we’ll be home in the tub.”
- David Ortiz, on his team’s plan for October